Hide

Whitney, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WHITNEY, a parish in the hundred of Huntington, county Hereford, 4 miles N.E. of Hay by the Hereford and Brecon railway, on which it is a station. The village is situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and on the road from Hereford to Hay and Brecon. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £230. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There are a chapel for Baptists and a mixed school. T. Dew, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]