"WITHINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Hereford, containing, with the chapelry of Preston- Wynne, 806 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Preston-Wynne annexed, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5.1., and endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200. royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, There is a place of worship for Baptists." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Transcription of section of E C Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire for Withington in 1851, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Withington in 1856, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire for Withington in 1858, by Richard Lane.
- Transcription of sections of Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire for Withington in 1879, 1905, 1913, 1929, by Richard Lane.
- The transcription of the section for Withington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Withington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Withington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO565435 (Lat/Lon: 52.08784, -2.63586), Withington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)