Hide

Withington, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WITHINGTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Broxash, county Hereford, 4 miles E. of Hereford, its post town. It is a station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the road from Hereford to Bromyard, and on the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The parish includes the chapelry of Preston Wynne. The soil is a mixture of clay and loam upon a substratum of block stone. Part of the land is in hop-gardens and orchards. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value with the curacy of Preston Wynne annexed, £250, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains an antique font and a carved screen. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a charity school for girls, called Byworth's, with a small endowment. The charities produce about £9 per annum. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]