Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Withington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Withington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1856

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856

Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002

WITHINGTON.

WITHINGTON is a parish and village 4½ miles east from Hereford (its post town), 12 north-east from Ledbury, 11 south- east from Leominster, and 30 south from Gloucester, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union, deanery, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, and on to the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The church of St. Peter is an ancient stone structure with substantial square tower, and has a very handsome stone spire with 5 fine-toned bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, porch, and font; the ancient chancel screen remains, and is an elaborate piece of wood carving. The living is a vicarage (with the chapelry of Preston Wynn annexed), worth about £250 yearly, with residence, in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev., William Gretton, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists, and an endowed Dame's school for boys and girls. The population in 1851 was 713, and acreage is 2,399. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the Rev. Henry Glossop, Miss Terry, W. H. Apperley, Esq., John Jancey, Esq., and William Racster, Esq., are the landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. Withington Court, prettily situated near the church, is an ancient mansion of stone, in the Gothic style of architecture, - now used as a farmhouse. Summer House Hill, at a short distance, commands a splendid view of the county around.

GENTRY
Davis Miss Elizabeth, Withington Court Kedward Miss
Gretton Rev. William Walthall, B.A., Vicarage Palmer Miss
Jancey John, esq., Nunnington Pitt Henry, esq., Eau Withington
Jancey Mrs. Nunnington Racster William, esq., Thingell Court
TRADERS
Apperley James, farmer, Stone House Kings William, farmer, Marshfield Crt.
Brick & Tile Works (Mr. Timothy Edwards, manager), Withington Wharf. Morgan George, farmer, Nunnington Crt
Bunn George, shopkeeper, Newbridge Morgan Henry, farmer, Veldo
Carver Thomas, tailor Morgan James, relieving officer, Nunnington
Corbett William, carpenter & wheelwright, Duck Street Morris George, farmer, Nunnington
Daller William, 'Old Cross Keys' Newport & Abergavenny & Hereford Coal & Lime Co. & general wharfingers (Mr. John Racster, agent), Withington Wharf
Daw James, blacksmith, Newbridge Norman John, shoemaker, Duck Street
Dowding Francis, farmer, Little Thingell Pitt Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Eau Withington
Ford Edwin John, farmer, Eau Withington Poytherus Richard, blacksmith
Godsall John, farmer, Weston Corner Pumphrey Samuel, 'New Cross Keys' & shopkeeper, Marsh
Harris Martin, farmer, Church House Racster John, grocer & provision dealer, Marshfield

   Letters arrive from Hereford by foot post at 9 a.m.; despatched at 2 p.m.. The nearest money order office is at Hereford

   Baptist Chapel, Rev. Joseph Moore, Minister

   Endowed School, Miss Elizabeth Barber, mistress

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1856 in Hereford Central Library]