Withington, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1858
Extract from Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire, 1858
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
WITHINGTON is a parish and village, distant 4½ miles east from Hereford, 12 north-east from Ledbury, 11 south-east from Leominster, and 30 south from Gloucester, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union, deanery, archdeaconry, and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, and on to the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The church of St. Peter is an ancient stone structure with substantial square tower, and has a very handsome stone spire with 5 fine-toned bells; the interior consists of nave, chancel, porch, and font; the ancient chancel screen remains, and is an elaborate piece of carving. The living is a vicarage (with the chapelry of Preston Wynn annexed), worth £250 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford; the Rev., William Walthall Gretton, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists, and an endowed school for boys and girls. The population in 1851 was 713, and acreage is 2,399. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the Rev. Henry Glossop, Miss Terry, W. H. Apperley, John Jancey, and others, are the landowners. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. Eau Withington Court, is a farmhouse. Summer House Hill, at a short distance, commands a splendid view of the county around.
Letters arrive from Hereford by foot post at 9 a.m.; despatched at 2 p.m.. The nearest money order office is at Hereford
MISCELLANEOUS Bowen Wm., basket maker Norman John, shoemaker, Duck Street Carver Thomas, tailor Pitt Henry, Esq., Eu-Withington Corbett William, carpenter Powell James, carpenter, Marsh Daller William, 'Old Cross Keys' Poytherus Richard, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker Edwards Wm., cooper Pumphrey Samuel, 'New Cross Keys' Godsall James, wheelwright Racster John, grocer & provision dealer, Marshfield Hook & Pritchard, tanners FARMERS Apperley James, Stone House Morgan George, Nunnington Court Bunn George Morgan Henry, Veldo Dowding Francis, Thingell Grange Morgan James, (and relieving officer), Nunnington Court Ford Edwin John, farmer, Eau Withington Morris George, Nunnington Godsall John, farmer, Weston Corner Phillips John Sharland, Lottery House Harris Martin, farmer, Church House Pitt Ann, Eu-Withington Jancey John, esq., Nunnington Ragster W., Marshfield Kings William, farmer, Marshfield Crt. Taylor Wm., Thingell Court Lewis Wm., Bank
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858 in Hereford Central Library]