Withington, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1879
Extract from Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire, 1879
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
WITHINGTON is a parish, village and station on the West Midland Railway from Hereford to Worcester, 4½ miles north-east from Hereford, 12 west from Ledbury, 11 south-east from Leominster, and 149 from London, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union and county court district, and in the rural deanery, archdeaconry, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Bromyard and Worcester and on the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The church of St. Peter is an ancient stone structure with chancel, nave and square tower containing 6 bells and a handsome stone spire, and porch: It was thoroughly restored in 1869, at a cost of £800: the ancient chancel screen remains, and is an elaborate piece of wood carving. The register dates from 1573. The living is a rectory, yearly value £413, with residence, and 116 acres of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. Charles William Pritchard, M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel Withington Court, prettily situated near the church, is an ancient Gothic stone mansion, occupied as a farmhouse. Thinghill is the handsome stone residence of Henry Higgins, esq. D.L., J.P. Summer House Hill, at a short distance, commands a splendid view of the country around. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the Rev. Henry Glossop, John Morley, esq., W. H. Apperley, esq., and Mrs. Jancey, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and apples. The area is 1,530 acres; rateable value £6,434; the population in 1871 was.
NUNNINGTON is 1 mile west.
Parish Clerk.- W. H. Apperley, esq.; Deputy Clerk, William Edwards.
POST OFFICE. - Edward Carey, receiver. Letters arrive from Hereford by foot post at 8.40 a.m.; despatched at 5.15 p.m.. The nearest money order office is at Hereford. The telegraph office is at the railway station.
WALL BOX cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only.
WALL BOX, Nunnington, cleared at 4.45 p.m..
Assistance Overseer.- William Birt.
School (endowed with £14 yearly).- Miss Louisa Jeffries, Mistress.
Railway Station.- Edwin Munslow, station master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Apperley William, Stone House Harris Martin Aston John C., Barnamore House Higgins Henry, D.L., J.P., Thinghill Aston William, F. S. A., Barnamore House Kedward Miss, Elm Villa Bedford Rev. John [Baptist] Mason John, The Lawns Clark Mrs., Withington Court Pritchard Rev. Charles William, M.A., Rectory Drinkwater William Smith John William, Thinghill Grange Easthope John Taylor William, Thinghill Court Godwin Henry COMMERCIAL Apperley William, farmer & hop grower Stone House Morgan William, tailor Baylis John, farmer, Weston Court Morris Thomas, farmer & carpenter Birt William, assistant oversear & collector of taxes Nicoll William, Old Cross Keys Bowen James, shoe maker Norman Thomas, shoemaker, Bowen William, basket maker Parry John farmer Bunn George, farmer, Cross Keys Parry William, farmer, Marsh Carey Edward, grocer & post office Pitt Mary (Mrs.), farmer Clarke Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer and landowner, Withington Court Powell Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper Drinkwater William, agricultural machine owner Powell Sarah (Mrs.), farmer Edwards John, farmer Price Henry, farmer, West Lydiatt Edwards William, cooper Price William, shoemaker Ford Edwin John, farmer, Pritchard Thomas, carpenter Godsall John, farmer, Weston Corner Pumphrey Samuel, 'New Cross Keys' & shopkeeper Godwin William, encaustic tile manufacturer Reece James, shoe maker Hays Joseph, carpenter Richards Joseph J., butcher, The Bank Hereford and Gloucester Canal Co. (John Napper, agent). Sirrell Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer Jay Charles, coal lime and manure merchant, Railway Station Smith Richard, farmer & haulier Jay George, shopkeeper South Susan (Mrs.), farmer Lee William, beer retailer South Wales Coal Co. Robert Langley, salesman), Railway Station Lewis William, blacksmith Taylor William, farmer & landowner, Thinghill Court Morgan George, Veldo Wheeler Richard, farmer, Eau Withington Morgan Henry, Nunnington Court Wilson Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1879 in Hereford Central Library]