Withington, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1905
Extract from Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire, 1905
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
WITHINGTON is a parish and village, on the road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, with a station on the Great Western Railway from Hereford to Worcester, 4½ miles north-east from Hereford, 11 south-east from Leominster, and 147½ from London, in the southern division of the county, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union, county court district and petty Sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Weston, archdeaconry, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a western tower with octagonal stone spire containing a clock, erected in 1884, and 6 bells the ancient rood screen of wood, elaborately carved remains, there are memorial windows to H. Higgins esq., of Thinghill, William Havard, and to John and Thomas, sons of John Havard Apperley, of this parish, and also to four former rectors, including one placed in 1903 to the Rev. Richard Powell M.A. rector 1882-1902: The church was thoroughly in 1858 at a cost of £800, under the direction of Mr. Pownall, architect, of London: in 1890 new heating apparatus was provided at the cost of Mrs. Higgins, and in 1899 a new organ was erected at a cost of £336: there are sittings for 250 persons. The register dates from 1573. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £240, including 132 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. Henry Hunter Phelps, M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1821. Thing Hill, the residence of William F. Abbott esq., is a large mansion, standing in tastefully laid out grounds of about 60 acres, and commanding an extensive views of the surrounding country. Withington Court, prettily situated near the church, is an ancient mansion of stone, in the Domestic Gothic style, and is now occupied as a farmhouse. Here are the extensive works of Messrs. W. Godwin and Son, encaustic tile manufacturers, where a great number of hands are employed. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the W. F. Abbott esq., H. W. Apperley, esq., G. Child esq., Mrs. Myer of London, Rev. G. H. P. Glossop M.A. of Romeland House, St. Albans, J. W. Smith esq., and the rector are chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, hops, and apples; a considerable quantity of strawberries are grown in the parish. The area is 2,195 acres; rateable value £6,718; the population in 1901 was 757.
NUNNINGTON is 1 mile west.
Sexton.- George Rock
POST & M.O., S.B. & A.&I. Office. - George Carey, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 6.50 a.m.; dispatched at 6.00 p.m. No delivery on Sunday. The nearest telegraph office is at Whitestone, 1 mile distant.
WALL LETTER BOXES. - Whitestone, cleared at 5.45 p.m. week days only; Nunnington, cleared at 6.15 p.m. week days only.
WALL BOX. - Old Cross Keys P.H. cleared at 5.25 p.m. week days only.
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. - (mixed) built with residence for master & mistress, in 1872, for 200 children; average attendance 170; endowed with £5 16s, yearly; William Mauvin, master; Mrs. Louise Mauvin, mistress. The children of Westhide parish also attend here.
Railway Station.- Edwin Noble, station master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Abbott William F., Thing Hill Peters Leonard, Barnamore House Bridgewater Mrs., Style House Phelps Rev. Henry Hunter M.A. (rector), The Rectory Child George, The Lawns Smith John William, Thing Hill Court Elliott Mrs., The Green Watkins John, J.P. Pomona Farm Godwin James, Mayfields Yeomans John Hayes, Stone House Henderson Thomas, The Laurels COMMERCIAL Bunn George, farmer, Marsh farm Moreton & Wallace, coal merchants, Railway Station Carey George, grocer & post office Morgan Hy. Sandford, farmer & hop grower, Nunnington Court Child George, landowner, farmer & hop grower, The Lawns Perkins Frederick, wheelwright Cole George, coal merchant Porter William, farmer, fruit & hop grower, Withington Court Cole James, haulier & farmer Powell Arthur, shopkpr, Telegraph off Collett Jane (Mrs.), grocer, Marsh Cottage Price John, farmer & hop & fruit grower, West Lydiatt & Withies Cotterill William, farmer, Lottery house Pugh Meredith Watson, farmer Farmer William, Old Cross Keys P.H. Reynolds James, farmer Ford Edwin John & William, farmers & hop growers, Eau Withington Court Rogers William, farmer, Veldo Fox Charles, farm bailiff to J. W. Smith esq., Thinghill Grange Sirrell Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer Godsall John, farmer & hop grower, Weston Court Smith John William, farmer & hop & fruit grower & estate agent, Thinghill Court Godwin W & Son, encaustic tile manufacturers, Lugwardine Works South Wales Coal Co. (James Jenner, salesman), Railway Station, Head Office, Hereford Harris John, farmer, Veldo Stonyer William, Edward, assistant oversear, Withington Corner Haskings Joseph, boot ma. The Withies Watkins John, farmer & nurseryman, Pomona Farm Lawrence William, basket maker Watkins' Pomona Cider Co. cider & perry makers (E. W. Langford, proprietor) Mason Hy., grocer, market gardener & plant grower Yeomans Jn. Hayes, farmer, Stone House.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]