Withington, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1913
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1913
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
WITHINGTON is a parish and village, on the road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, with a station on the Great Western Railway from Hereford to Worcester, 4½ miles north-east from Hereford, 11 south-east from Leominster, and 147½ from London, in the southern division of the county, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union, county court district and petty Sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Weston, and archdeaconry, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a western tower with octagonal stone spire containing a clock, erected in 1884, and 6 bells the ancient rood screen of wood, elaborately carved, remains: there are memorial windows to H. Higgins esq., of Thinghill, William Havard, and to John and Thomas, sons of John Havard Apperley, of this parish, and also to four former rectors, including one placed in 1903 to the Rev. Richard Powell M. A. rector 1882-1902: The church was thoroughly in 1858 at a cost of £800, under the direction of Mr. Pownall, architect, of London: in 1890 new heating apparatus was provided at the cost of Mrs. Higgins, and in 1899 a new organ was erected at a cost of £336: there are sittings for 250 persons. The register dates from 1573. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £250, including 132 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. Henry Hunter Phelps, M. A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1821, and a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1912. Thing Hill, the residence of William F. Abbott esq., is a large mansion, standing in tastefully laid out grounds of about 60 acres, and commanding an extensive views of the surrounding country. Withington Court, prettily situated near the church, is an ancient mansion of stone, in the Domestic Gothic style, and is now occupied as a farmhouse. Here are the extensive works of Messrs. W. Godwin and Son, encaustic tile manufacturers, where a great number of hands are employed. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and W. F. Abbott esq., H. W. Apperley, esq., G. Child esq., Mrs. Myer of London, Rev. G. H. P. Glossop M. A. of Romeland House, St. Albans, J. W. Smith esq. J. P., and the rector are chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, hops, and apples; a considerable quantity of strawberries are grown in the parish. The area is 2,195 acres; rateable value £6,313; the population in 1911 was 797.
NUNNINGTON is 1 mile west.
Sexton.- William Williams.
Post & M.O. Office. - Mrs Annie Carey, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at 6.55 a.m. and 5.55 p.m.; dispatched at 10.20 a.m. and 6.10 p.m. No delivery on Sunday. Whitestone, 1 mile distant, is the nearest telegraph office for delivery; there is a telegraph office for despatch only at Withington Station, open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on week days only.
Post & T. Office, Whitestone. - Arthur Powell, sub-post master. Letters arrive from Hereford at 6.40 a.m. & 5.10 p.m.; despatched at 10.30 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.; no Sunday delivery. Withington is the nearest money order office.
Post Office, The marsh (Cross Keys).- Frederick William Perkins, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford 7.15 a.m. & 6 p.m.; despatched at 6.10 p.m.. Withington, 1 mile distant, is the nearest money order office & Whitestone, 1 mile distant, is the nearest telegraph office.
WALL LETTER BOXES.- Nunnington, cleared at 6.15 p.m. week days only; Nunnington, cleared at 6.15 p.m. week days only.
WALL BOX.- Old Cross Keys P.H. cleared at 6.10 p.m. week days only.
WALL BOX.- Weston Corner, cleared at 5.40 p.m.
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.- (mixed) built with residence for master & mistress, in 1872, for 200 children; average attendance 170; endowed with £5 16s, yearly; William Mauvin, master. The children of Westhide parish also attend here.
The school is controlled by 6 managers appointed in 1903; Chairman.- George Child, correspondent.
Railway Station.- George Thomas Jakeman, station master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. Abbott William F., Thing Hill Milne-Redhead Miss., Grey House Boothby Mrs. Norton Rev. John, B.A. (vicar of Preston Wynne) Bridgewater Mrs., Style House Phelps Rev. Henry Hunter M.A. (rector), The Rectory Child George, The Lawns Smith John William, J.P., Barnamore House Farmer William Gray, Withington Court Yeomans John Hayes, Stone House Hawkins Thomas John, Thinghill Court COMMERCIAL Bunn George, farmer, Marsh farm Mason Henry, Old Cross Keys P.H. Carey Annie (Mrs.), grocer & post office Meates John & Sons, coal merchants, Railway Station Carver John, farmer, Polemore Morgan Chas. Hankins, farmer, Veldo Cole Jane (Mrs.), haulier & farmer Morgan Hy. Sandford, farmer & hop grower, Nunnington Court Collett Jane (Mrs.), grocer, Marsh Cottage Perkins Frederick, wheelwright Corbett James, smith Powell Arthur, shopkpr, Telegraph off Cotterill William, farmer, Lottery house Powell Meredith, farmer Farmer William Gray, farmer & fruit & hop grower, Withington Court Price John, farmer & hop & fruit grower, West Lydiatt & Withies Ford William, farmers & hop growers, Eau Withington Court Pugh Meredith Watson, farmer Fox Charles, farm bailiff to J. W. Smith esq., Thinghill Grange Reynolds James, farmer Godsall Annie (Mrs.), farmer & hop grower, Weston Corner Skyrme John, farmer Godwin W & Son, (Lugwardine Tile Works Limited). South Wales Coal Co. (Charles Evans, salesman), Railway Station, Head Office, Hereford Hawkins Thomas John, farmer & hop & fruit grower, Thinghill Court Watts George Henry, blacksmith Jay Ernest, grocer Williams Clement William, coal merchant, Railway Station Lawrence William, basket maker Williams George, farm Bailiff to T. J. Hawkins esq., Thinghill Grange Love William (Mrs.), farmer Yeomans Jn. Hayes, farmer, Stone House.
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]