Withington, Herefordshire - Trade Directory, 1929
Extract from Trade [Kelly's?] Directory of Herefordshire, 1929
Transcription by Richard Lane © 2003
WITHINGTON is a parish and village, on the road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, with a station on the Great Western Railway from Hereford to Worcester, 4½ miles north-east from Hereford, 11 south-east from Leominster, and 147½ from London, in the Leominster division of the county, in Broxash Hundred, Hereford Union, county court district and petty Sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Weston, and archdeaconry, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Peter is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a western tower with octagonal stone spire containing a clock, erected in 1884, and 6 bells the ancient rood screen of wood, elaborately carved, remains: there are memorial windows to H. Higgins esq., of Thinghill, William Havard, and to John and Thomas, sons of John Havard Apperley, of this parish, and also to four former rectors, including one placed in 1903 to the Rev. Richard Powell M.A. rector 1882-1902: The church was thoroughly in 1858 at a cost of £800, under the direction of Mr. Pownall, architect, of London: in 1890 new heating apparatus was provided at the cost of Mrs. Higgins, and in 1899 a new organ was erected at a cost of £336: there are sittings for 250 persons. The register dates from 1573. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £500, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford, and held by the Rev. John Hutton Clarke, M.Sc. of Victoria University, Manchester. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1821, and a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1912. Withington Court, prettily situated near the church, is an ancient mansion of stone, in the Domestic Gothic style, and is now occupied as a farmhouse. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and Messrs H. W. Apperley, esq., T. J. Hawkins and W Gray Farmer are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil is block stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, hops, and apples; a considerable quantity of strawberries are grown in the parish. The area is 2,195 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1921 was 756.
NUNNINGTON is 1 mile west.
Post & M.O. Office. - Letters through Hereford. Whitestone nearest T. Office
Post, T. & T.E.D. Office, Whitestone.- Letters through. Withington is the nearest money order office.
Post Office, The Marsh (Cross Keys). Letters through Hereford. Withington nearest M.O. office& Whitestone nearest T. office.
Railway Station, (G. W.).
PRIVATE RESIDENTS. (For T.N.'s see general list of Private Residents at end of book) Clarke Rev. John Hutton M.Sc. (rector), The Rectory Leake William Henry, Stone House Farmer William Gray M.A. Withington Court McRae Capt. George Edward, Onestack Ford Misses, Eau Withington Milne-Redhead Miss., Grey House Hawkins Thomas John, Thinghill Court Morgan Thomas David, Style House Jones Mrs Parry, Grey house COMMERCIAL Marked Thus ° farm 150 acres or cover Brown William H., Old Cross Keys P.H. Meates John & Sons, coal merchants, Railway Station Bunn George, farmer, Marsh farm Morgan Frank, farmer & hop grower, Nunnington Court Carey Annie (Mrs.), grocer Perkins Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkeeper Carver John, farmer, Polemore Powell Arthur (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Telegraph office Cole Jane (Mrs.), haulier Praill Leonard, fruit merchant, T.N. Sutton St. Nicholas 14 Cotterill William, farmer, Lottery house Pugh Meredith Watson, farmer Farmer William Gray, farmer & fruit & hop grower, Withington Court Reynolds James, farmer Godsall Annie (Mrs.), farmer & hop grower, Weston Corner Richards S. W., farmer Gwatkins Wm. F., farmer, West Lydiatt South Wales Coal Co. Railway Station, Head Office, Hereford. See Advert Index Hawkins Thomas John, farmer, Thinghill Court Thomas William Ridley, farmer, The Lawns Humphries John, farm bailiff to T. J. Hawkins esq., Thinghill Court Thynne H. & G. Ltd., tile manufacturers Lawrence William, basket maker Williams Alfred, wheelwright ° Leake Wm. H., farmer & hop grower, Stone House Williams Eveline (Mrs.), shopkeeper
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929 in Hereford Central Library]