Withington, Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851
Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851Transcription by Richard Lane © 2002
WITHINGTON a large parish, is situated about five miles N.E. from Hereford.
The church is a fine old building, with massive tower and tall well-proportioned spire. The Rev. Wm. Gretton, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Jauncey, churchwarden; Mr. John Norman, Clerk. Services - 11 a.m. and 3.15 p.m.
THE Baptist Chapel is a handsome stone building, with Minister's House attached. The Rev. John Ramsey, Minister. Services - 10.30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
There is a Baptist School attached to the Chapel. The Rev. John Ramsey, Master.
There is also a Free School in the parish, well supported. Average number of scholars, 30. Elizabeth Barber, Mistress.
CLERGY, GENTRY, TRADES, FARMERS, ETC. Gretton Rev., Wm. M.A., Rector, Rectory Palmer Miss, Green Tree Ramsey Rev., John, Baptist Minister and Schoolmaster Apperley Wm., H., farmer Kings Wm., farmer Bailey Joseph, boot and shoemaker Morgan Henry, farmer, Velder Bowen James, boot and shoemaker Morgan James, farmer, Nunnington Bowen Richard, tailor Norman John, boot and shoemaker Carver Thomas, tailor Pitt Wm., farmer, Stone House Corbett Wm., wheelwright Plain Wm., farmer Dallow Wm., beer retailer, Old Cross Keys Price John, farmer, West Lydiatt Davis Elizabeth, farmer, Withington Court Ragster John, shopkeeper Dowsing Francis, farmer, Little Thingell Ragster Wm., farmer, Thingell Court Edwards Thomas, farmer, Tadpole Reece James, boot and shoemaker Edwards Wm., cooper Sanders William, shopkeeper Harris Martin, farmer, Church farm Smith Wm., shopkeeper Jauncey John, farmer, Nunnington Southall John, farmer, Nunnington Jones Wm., victualler and shopkeeper, Cross Keys Spencer John, farmer
[Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
from a copy of Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851 in Hereford Central Library]