Woolhope, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WOOLHOPE, a parish and township in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 8 miles S.W. of Ledbury, and 7 S.E. of Hereford. The village is situated near Seagar Hill, and includes the hamlets of Buckenhill and Putley. There are many hop-gardens and orchards. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £250, in the patronage of the dean and chapter, who are lords of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary or to St. George. There is a mixed school, chiefly supported by Lady Emily Foley, of Stoke Edith Park. The charities produce about £28 per annum, £5 of which belong to the school."
"BUCKENHILL, a township in the parish of Woolhope, hundred of Greytree, in the county of Hereford, 7 miles to the N. of Ross."
"PUTLEY, a township in the parish of Woolhope, hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 6 miles S.W. of Ledbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]