Hide

Wormbridge, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WORMBRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, county Hereford, 9 miles S.W. of Hereford, 3 E. of Abbey Dore, and 1 mile S.W. of St. Devereux railway station, on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line. It is situated on the Worm Brook, a branch of the river Monnow, in the Grey-valley, on the road to Abergavenny. The soil is a mixture of sand and loam, upon a subsoil of sandstone. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Hereford, annexed to St. Devereux. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas the Apostle, has been recently re-built. Archer Clive, Esq., of Whitfield Park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]