Yarpole, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"YARPOLE, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Leominster, and 18 from Hereford. The parish comprises the townships of Bircher and Yarpole. The principal residences are Highwood House, Bircher Hall, The Knoll, and Bycroft. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Croft. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has recently been improved by the addition of a new chancel. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There is a National school for this and the adjoining parishes. The charities produce about £8 per annum. W. T. Kevill Davies, Esq., of Croft Castle, is lord of the manor."
"BIRCHER, a township in the parish of Yarpole, hundred of Wolphy, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles to the N.W. of Leominster. Bircher Common is about a mile from the village."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]