[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BUCKWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 7 miles to the north-west of Huntingdon, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £330, in the patronage of R. E. D. Shafto, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Near the village are Buckworth Grove and Buckworth Lodge."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


  • Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Buckworth have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.


  • Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
  • The full 1841 Census of Buckworth Parish is available as fiche set C104.
  • The full 1851 Census of Buckworth Parish is available as fiche set C54.
  • A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Buckworth was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 4a - 8b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
  • A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Buckworth was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8).
  • The fiche sets mentioned above are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.



Church History

  • The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and spire, and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
  • The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts of the present church are the 12th century eastern angles of what was probably an aisle-less nave. The south arcades and south aisle were built towards the end of the 13th century; the tower and spire around 1300, and the chancel, north arcade and north aisle about 1310. The south aisle and north wall of the north aisle were rebuilt around 1400, and the clearstory and porch were added about the same time.
  • The church was restored in 1862 when it was reroofed, and the spire in 1884. The tower was repaired in 1908 and the spire was repaired again in 1925 after being struck by lightning.
  • There are photographs and further information on All Saints Church on Rob's Churches website.

Church Records

  • The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
    • Baptisms: 1604-1632, 1662-1848 (both indexed).
    • Banns: 1761-1847 (indexed), 1824-1843, 1865-6, 1951-1978.
    • Marriages: 1604-1632, 1676-1848 (both indexed).
    • Burials: 1604-1632, 1670-1851 (both indexed).
    • Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1626-7, 1631-2/1662-77, 1686-8, 1691-9, 1702, 1706-8, 1710, 1716, 1718-34, 1736-7, 1739, 1742, 1744-48, 1750-7, 1759-60, 1763-7, 1770-2, 1774-82, 1784-6, 1798-1813/1813-24/1825-1844, 1849-50, 1853-8.
  • The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.

Civil Registration

  • Buckworth was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District again.




You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL148767 (Lat/Lon: 52.376319, -0.314998), Buckworth which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

  • Buchesworde (xi cent.)
  • The parish of Buckworth was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
  • Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.


  • Population in 1801 - 130.
  • Population in 1851 - 191.
  • Population in 1901 - 164.
  • Population in 1951 - 105.
  • Population in 1971 - 121.
  • Population in 1991 - 101.