- Population in 1801 - 156.
- Population in 1851 - 216.
- Population in 1901 - 186.
- Population in 1951 - 668.
- Population in 1971 - 93.
- Population in 1991 - 90.
"EASTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 7 miles west of Huntingdon, and 4 north-east of Kimbolton, its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £68, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The charities amount to about £90 per annum, and are distributed to the poor three times in the year. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Manchester is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for Easton have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Easton Parish is available as fiche set C89.
- The full 1851 Census of Easton Parish is available as fiche set C39.
- A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Easton was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 92a - 95a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Easton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8).
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of St. Peter consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, west tower and spire, and a north porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the thick north wall of the nave and numerous carved stones built into the wall point to a stone church on the site by the beginning of the 12th century. Probably it had an aisle-less nave. In about 1300, considerable alterations were made; the south aisle with its arcade was added, and the chancel and chancel arch was probably rebuilt. The tower and spire were built at the end of the 14th century. In the 15th century, the east end of the chancel was largely rebuilt, and the walls of it and the nave were heightened and new windows inserted in them. However, the windows of the clearstory seem to be early 16th century. The porch and the rood-stairs were built around 1500.
- The chancel was restored in 1871 when the east wall was largely rebuilt and a new roof put on; the rest of the church was refurbished about 1876-9. The south aisle was partly rebuilt, and considerable other repairs were done in 1903-4. The spire was struck by lightening on 3rd July 1908, and subsequently repaired.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Peter's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1604-1626, 1708-1851 (both are indexed transcriptions).
- Banns: (1756-1812 are in the marriage register), 1764-1812, 1824-1850 (both are indexed transcriptions), 1921-1935.
- Marriages: 1604-1626, 1709-1851 (both are indexed transcriptions), 1838-1948.
- Burials: 1604-1626, 1709-1851 (both are indexed transcriptions).
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-1626 (indexed transcriptions), 1604-5, 1607-8, 1612, 1616-19, 1625-7, 1760, 1762, 1765, 1812-13/1813-38, 1854-5, 1857.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Easton was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District again.
- A transcript of the Easton parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Easton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easton to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Easton in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL140716 (Lat/Lon: 52.330656, -0.328475), Easton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- The parish of Easton was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.