ELTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ELTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 4 miles (N.E.) from Oundle, containing 785 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £23. 9. 2., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has portions in the decorated, with insertions in the later, English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free school is endowed with between £40 and £50 per annum."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]