"EYNESBURY, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, half a mile south of St. Neot's, its post town, and railway station on the Great Northern line. It is situated on the banks of the river Ouse, across which there is a bridge. The place is of considerable antiquity, and is believed to have been the site of a Roman encampment. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act obtained in 1797. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £429. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school. The Earl of Sandwich is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The Monumental Inscriptions of Eynesbury parish have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Eynesbury Parish is available as fiche set C91.
- The full 1851 Census of Eynesbury Parish is available as fiche set C41.
- The full 1891 Census of Eynesbury Parish si available as fiche set C13.
- A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Eynesbury was enumerated (RG11/1610, Folios 87a - 118a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C5.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square TL 183598.
- The church of St Mary consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, tower at the south-east corner of the south aisle, a modern north porch and a south vestry. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the tower is of ashlar. The roofs are covered with lead and tiles.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest work visible is the late 12th century north arcade of the nave and, possibly, the base of the south wall of the chancel. Considerable rebuilding seems to have taken place during the latter half of the 13th century, probably commencing with the building of the tower, then rebuilding of the south arcade and aisle, the chancel and the widening of the north aisle. The clearstory was added in the 15th century.
- The tower fell in 1685, destroying the chancel and a great part of the nave and south aisle. The chancel was rebuilt at once in a mean manner; after some delay, the tower was erected in 1687. The church was restored in 1858 when the chancel was rebuilt and the north porch added; the porch was rebuilt in 1873 and the vestry was built in 1929.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1545-1597, 1560-1606, 1653-1719/20, 1673-1707/8, 1720-1783, 1783-1786, 1789-1812, 1813-1839, 1839-1861, 1861-1882, 1882-1907, 1907-1942, 1942-1969.
- Banns: 1754-1802, 1783-1792, 1802-1807,1934-1954, 1954-1972, 1972-1985, 1985-1993.
- Marriages: 1538-1582, 1561-1606, 1558-1606, 1653/4-1719/20, 1661-1701/2, 1720-1767, 1754-1802, 1783-1792, 1802-1812, 1813-1836, 1837-1897, 1897-1909, 1909-1921, 1921-1935, 1935-1946, 1946-1955, 1955-1967, 1962-1990, 1967-1990, 1990-1992, 1992-1994, 1994-1996.
- Burials: 1538-1582, 1558-1606, 1653-1719/20, 1665-1707/8, 1720-1789, 1783-1787, 1789-1812, 1813-1852, 1852-1966.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1612, 1617-19, 1625, 1629, 1675/1675-9, 1681-8, 1695-6, 1699-1702, 1706-15, 1718, 1720, 1722-1756/1756-1813/1813-24/1825-1841, 1843-55.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The parish of Eynesbury was originally in the Registration District of St. Neots from 1st July 1837, and continued to be when that district became a sub-district of Huntingdon, in which it remained until 31st March 1997. Since the 1st April 1997, Eynesbury has been in the Huntingdon Registration District.
- A transcript of the Eynesbury parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Eynesbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eynesbury to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL186593 (Lat/Lon: 52.219153, -0.265323), Eynesbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Einulbesberie (xi cent.),
- Eynesbiri (xiii cent.),
- Eynesburie (xvi cent.).
- The parish of Eynesbury was part of the St Neots Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available, as fiche set D-11, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.