GLATTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
"GLATTON Glatton lies on clay land; it is mostly pasture but there is also some arable land, producing wheat, barley and peas. The land is undulating; it rises from the Holme Brook in the east, where it is about 40 ft. above sea-level, to a ridge of low hills rising to about 145 ft. > From this low ridge, the land falls to another brook to the south where the land is about 50 ft. above sea-level, from which it rises again to about 220 ft. on the western boundary.
The village, which is now rather less scattered than it once was, surrounds a four sided figure formed by roads upon which converges by-roads from Lutton and the west, by the High Haden road; from Denton on the north; from Holme on the north-east by the Wrays, which branches off from Ermine Street; from Sawtry on the south-east; and from Great Gidding on the south-west by Infield Road. The church and the rectory are within this figure.
To the north-west of the church is the Manor Farm, in the grounds of which is a homestead moat which was probably the site of the old Manor House, and in the 14th century and later possibly the residence of the Castel family. There are many 17th century houses and cottages in the village, some with timber-frames and thatched roofs. The 'Addison Arms' Inn on the Sawtry road is a late 17th century brick house with shaped gables and tiled roof.
Originally the parish included the hamlet of Holme, which was a chapelry of Glatton, but even in the 13th century Holme was beginning to show a certain importance of its own. In 1857 the two became separate ecclesiastical parishes, and in 1866 separate civil parishes were created."