GREAT GRANSDEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"GREAT GRANSDEN, a parish in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from St. Neot's, containing 545 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £5. 7. 3., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school-house was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under the will of the Rev. B. Oley, then vicar; and in 1819 a house was erected for the master. Throughout this parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocks, and fossils of almost every description, mineralized wood and vegetables, the vertebrae of the Ichthyosaurus, &c."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]