- Population in 1801 - 320.
- Population in 1851 - 482.
- Population in 1901 - 346.
- From 1935, the population figures included Little Stukeley.
- Population in 1951 - 612.
- Population in 1971 - 2525.
- Population in 1991 - 2056.
"HADDON, a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon, 8 miles south-west of Peterborough, and 3 north-west of Stilton, its post town. It is situated near the Great North road on the borders of Northamptonshire. It is of small extent and wholly agricultural, extending between Billingbrook and Ermine Street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £365. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient structure with tower. There is a parochial school chiefly supported by the rector."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS. However, Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Haddon Parish is available as fiche set C82.
- The full 1851 Census of Haddon Parish is available as fiche set C32.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Haddon was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C15.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- An index of surnames in the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Haddon was enumerated (Folios 26 - 29B), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
- The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form, from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
- The church of St Mary consists of a chancel, nave with a western extension, north transept, south transept, north aisle, south aisle, belfry and north porch. The walls are of stone rubble with ashlar dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead and slates.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, and probably the eastern wall of the nave belongs to this church, although the chancel arch is of 12th century date from which it may perhaps be inferred that the chancel was rebuilt at that time. Early in the 13th century, the north aisle and trasept were added and an arcade built on the lines of the old north wall. Some 30 years later, the same thing was done on the south side, but in this case the arcade appears to have been built slightly to the north of the old south wall. The nave was elongated westward some 10 ft., and a north porch was added, and the chancel was rebuilt and widened to the south.
- The clearstory windows appear to have been formed early in the 16th century, probably without materially raising the walls. Much later in the same century the belfry was formed over the western extension of the nave.
- The church was restored in 1745, 1897 and 1901.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Mary's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1538-1779, 1778-1812.
- Banns: 1755-1812.
- Marriages: 1540-1754, 1755-1812, 1813-1839, 1837-1955.
- Burials: 1538/9-1772, 1778-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608-10, 1812, 1618-19, 1625-6, 1669-1679/1680, 1682-3, 1685-8, 1690-2, 1696-8, 1700-2, 1704, 1706, 1708-25, 1727-8, 1730-1, 1733-4, 1746-55, 1757-69, 1771-4, 1776, 1779-87, 1789-97, 1799-1813/1813-24/1825-34, 1836-56.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall.
- Elaine Saunders has provided a transcription in part of the St Mary's Churchyard.
- Haddon was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.
- From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.
- A transcript of the Haddon parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Haddon parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Haddon to another place.
- An old map of Haddon in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL135925 (Lat/Lon: 52.518572, -0.328721), Haddon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- There is no memorial within the village but there is a memorial window within the church.
- The parish of Haddon was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.