"HILTON, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 3 miles south of St. Ives. The Roman road, Ermine Street, passed near this place. The surface is flat, and the soil clay, alternated with gravel. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fen-Stanton. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient structure. The charities produce about £30 per annum."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions from the Parish Churchyard (approximately 223 entries - fiche set M21) are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Hilton Parish is available as fiche set C93.
- The full 1851 Census of Hilton Parish is available as fiche set C43.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Hilton was enumerated (RG11/1609, Folios 23a - 30a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234) in which Hilton parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as Fiche C12.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square: TL 291661.
- The church of St Mary Magdalene consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of pebble rubble, with stone and clunch dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead, tiles and slates.
- The church, which was a chapelry of Fen Stanton, is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, but apparently there was a small stone church here in the 12th century, of which small portions of walling and impost moulding remain on each side of the chancel arch. The chancel arch and its responds are of the 13th century, and the tower is of the late 14th century, but the rest of the church is wholly of 15th century date. The church was restored in 1850 and again in 1889, and at the latter date was partially reseated and the chancel raised. The north-west corner of the tower was repaired in 1904-5, and the chancel in 1909.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptism: 1558-1785, 1785-1812, 1813-1888
- Banns: 1754-1811, 1824-1908.
- Marriages: 1558-1812 (indexed transcription), 559-1753, 1755-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1959, 1959-1973, 1973-1981.
- Burials: 1558-1785, 1785-1812, 1813-1966.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608, 1610, 1612, 1617-19, 1627, 1631, 1660-8, 1671-78, 1685, 1688, 1692-6, 1698, 1700, 1702, 1705, 1707-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-48, (BT's for 1749 are with Fenstanton BTs between 1753-1755), 1750-3, 1755-82, 1785-1813/1813-23/1825-43, 1845-58.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Hilton was in the Registration District of St. Ives from 1st July 1837, which latterly became a sub-District of Huntingdon. Since 1st April 1997 it has been in the Huntingdon Registration District.
- The Hilton Maze. One of the few surviving turf mazes in England, this unusual maze was first cut in 1660 and has always been the focus of celebration.
- A transcript of the Hilton parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Hilton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hilton to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Hilton in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL289669 (Lat/Lon: 52.285131, -0.111737), Hilton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Hilton parish was in the St Ives Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are available, as fiche set D9, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.