"HOUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 2 miles west of St. Ives. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Ouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions for Houghton have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Houghton Parish is available as fiche set C100.
- The full 1851 Census of Houghton Parish is available as fiche set C50.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Houghton was enumerated (RG11/1609, Folios 69a - 79b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234) in which Houghton parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C12.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square TL 282721.
- The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin; it consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of pebble rubble with stone dressings, except for the 19th century north wall of the aisle which is of brick. The roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, however nothing remains of this Church. The earliest part of the present Church is the chancel built in the mid 13th century. About 100 years later, the nave was rebuilt and possibly lengthened, and the north aisle added. The west tower and spire were built around 1380, and the porch was added in 1664. The chancel was restored in 1851 and the whole church was refurbished in 1870-1, when the north wall of the aisle was rebuilt.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1605-1838 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1883, 1884-1974.
- Banns: 1754-1817 (indexed transcriptions), 1846-1980, 1980-1992.
- Marriages: 1607-1836 (indexed transcriptions), 1837-1959,1960-1964, 1964-1968, 1968-1971, 1971-1979, 1979-1988.
- Burials: 1605-1838 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1969.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1605, 1607-8, 1612, 1617-20, 1625-7, 1629/1681-3, 1685-7, 1690-2, 1694-5, 1697, 1699-1702, 1704-8, 1710-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-1749/1750-75, 1777-1813/1813, 1815/1852-5. (See also Wyton BTs 1678-1813).
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are at present, issued in alphabetic listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Houghton is now in the Registration District of Huntingdon but its former Registration District was St Ives.
- A transcript of the Houghton parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Houghton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Houghton to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Houghton in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL282722 (Lat/Lon: 52.332917, -0.119976), Houghton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial, which includes Houghton and Wyton, with detailed information about those who fell, is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Houlton (x cent.),
- Hocturne (xi cent.),
- Hocton (xiii cent.),
- Houton by St. Ives (xiii cent.),
- Hoghton (xiii - xiv cent.),
- Houghton (xiv cent.),
- frequently Houghton with Wyton.