"HUNTINGDON, comprises the parishes of All Saints, St. Benedict, St. John, St. Mary, it is a market town, municipal and parliamentary borough and county town, in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 59 miles north of London by the Great Northern railway; it is also a station on the St. Ives, Huntingdon, and Cambridge branch of the Great Eastern railway. It stands on a gently rising ground, near the line of the ancient Ermine Street, not far from the site of the Roman station Durolipons - The Ouse, which separates it from the village of Godmanchester, is crossed by an ancient stone bridge of six arches, forming part of a causeway constructed above the meadows, which are frequently inundated by the river." (There is more of this description).
"ABBOT'S CHAIR, a stone in the parish of Huntingdon, and near Huntingdon, on the borders of the parishes of Old Hurst and Woodhurst, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, and county of Huntingdon, 4 miles north-east of Huntingdon, and 69 north of London. It receives the first affix of its name from an Austin friary, founded by Eustace de Lovetot, in the reign of Henry II.; but of which no traces now remain."
"PORT HOLME, a level field adjoining the town of Huntingdon and in the parish of Huntingdon, county Hunts, where the races are held. It is situated on the river Ouse, and once belonged to the Protector Cromwell.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Census information for Huntingdon Town is given on each of its four parish pages.
- The full 1841 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C101.
- The full 1851 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C51.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which all four Huntingdon parishes were enumerated (RG11/1604, Folios 4a - 12a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which the four Huntingdon parishes and the Huntingdon Union Workhouse were enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Barnabas's Church, Huntingdon. It's more important to see the trees rather than the church.
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Huntingdon.
- The Trinity Free Church, Huntingdon.
- The Methodist Church, Huntingdon.
- The Spiritualist Church, Huntingdon.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Roman Catholic Church of St. Michael the Archangel, Huntingdon
- The Trinity Free Church, Huntingdon
- The Methodist Church, Huntingdon
- There were originally 16 ancient parishes in Huntingdon. These were:
- Huntingdon All Saints. This was abolished in 1667 to create Huntingdon All Saints with St John by union.
- Huntingdon Holy Trinity. This was derelict by the 14th century.
- Huntingdon St Andrew. This was in decay after 1529.
- Huntingdon St Benedict. This was abolished in 1668 to create Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict.
- Huntingdon St Botolph. Site unknown.
- Huntingdon St Clement. Not mentioned after 1372.
- Huntingdon St Edmund. United in 1312 with Huntingdon St Mary.
- Huntingdon St. George. Mentioned only in the 17th century.
- Huntingdon St Germain. Mentioned on a 17th century map, but there is no earlier mention.
- Huntingdon St John. Abolished in 1667 to create Huntingdon All Saints and St John.
- Huntingdon St Lawrence. No mention after the 13th century.
- Huntingdon St Martin. United in 1343 with Huntingdon St Mary.
- Huntingdon St Mary. Gained Huntingdon St Martin in 1343, and Huntingdon St Clement in 1372. Abolished in 1668 to create Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict.
- Huntingdon St Michael. In ruins by the 16th century when it was united with Huntingdon St Peter.
- Huntingdon St Nicholas. Site unknown.
- Huntingdon St Peter. It was in ruins by the later 16th century.
- There is also a modern church of St Barnabas but this is unlikely to have any history for family historians.
- The Registration District of Huntingdon has served the Borough since 1st July 1837.
- There are municipal pages for the Borough and Town of Huntingdon
- A transcript of the Huntingdon parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Huntingdon parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Huntingdon parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huntingdon to another place.
- An old map of the parishes in Huntingdon in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL240718 (Lat/Lon: 52.330287, -0.181728), Huntingdon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Huntendune porte (vii cent.),
- Huntendun, Huntandune (x cent.),
- Huntendonia id es Mons Venatorum (xii cent.),
- Huntyngdon (xiii cent.).}
- The on-line Newspaper which covers parts of Huntingdonshire (notably Huntingdon, St. Ives and districts) is the Cambridge Evening News.
- A list of Mayors of Huntingdon 1800-1840 is available.
- Huntingdon Borough was part of the Huntingdon Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A breakdown of population figures for each of the four parishes of Huntingdon up to 1921 can be found on each of those pagish pages. From 1951 the Borough population figures include the parish of Hartford.
- Population in 1801 - 2035
- Population in 1851 - 4872
- Population in 1901 - 4261
- Population in 1951 - 7784
- Population in 1971 - 13415
- Population in 1991 - 15434