Huntingdon St John
HUNTINGDON ST. JOHN
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HUNTINGDON ST. JOHN, a parish in the town of Huntingdon."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C101.
- The full 1851 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C51.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Huntingdon (St John) was enumerated (RG11/1604, Folios 35a - 73b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Huntingdon (St John) parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of St. John the Baptist no longer exists. It originally stood on the south side of Ferrar House in the High Street. From bequests in Wills, it appears that the church had a chancel, nave and two aisle - one of which was called the "chauntry ylde". There are mentions of the lights of the Holy Sepulchre, St.Etheldreda and St. John, and the images of the Blessed Virgin, St. John and St. Crassius (Pancras?). There are also references to the painting of the rood loft. A part of the churchyard still remains.
- The living became crown property at the Dissolution (c.1538), and a scheme was finally approved for uniting it with All Saints in 1667. The church building suffered in the Civil War and was pulled down between 1651 and 1660 by Sylvester Bedell.
- Eight of Oliver Cromwell's (the Lord Protector of England during the period 1649-1660) children were baptised in St John's.
- See also Huntingdon All Saints Indexed Transcript of Marriages 1586-1660 and (with All Saints) 1679-1838, with extracts of Baptisms 1586-1680 and (with All Saints) 1678-1783, and Burials 1589-1681 and (with All Saints) 1678-1783 are on Search Room shelves (covers all four Huntingdon parishes).
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1585-1681/2.
- Marriages: 1586-1660?
- Burials: 1585-1681/2.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608, 1612, 1617-19, 1626-7, See Huntingdon All Saints for B.Ts after 1668.
- Surviving church records from 1678 are with those of All Saints.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huntingdon St John to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL234724 (Lat/Lon: 52.335813, -0.190308), Huntingdon St John which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The population figues for the Huntingdon Borough were broken down further by parish. Those for the parish of St. John are:
- Population in 1801 - 552
- Population in 1851 - 1280
- Population in 1901 - 1556
- Population in 1921 - 1578
- After 1921, the recording of separate population figures for each of the four parishes of Huntingdon was discontinued.