Huntingdon St Mary
HUNTINGDON ST. MARY
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HUNTINGDON ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Huntingdon."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions for Huntingdon St. Mary's have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C101 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Huntingdon and its Parishes is available as fiche set C51 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Huntingdon (St. Marys) was enumerated (RG11/1603, Folios 107a - 140b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C3, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Huntingdon (St Mary) parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C9 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square TL 241716
- The church of St. Mary consists of a chancel, 19th century organ chamber and vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls of the north aisle and west tower are of ashlar, and the rest of the church is built of rubble with stone dressings. The roofs are of lead and tiles.
- There are small remains of 12th century buttresses and the north-east, north-west and south-west corners of the south aisle. The chancel, the nave arcades and the south aisle were rebuilt in the 13th century. The west tower and south porch were built circa 1385, and the clearstory was added about 1500. In 1607 the north-east corner of the tower fell down, destroying the north arcade and the north aisle, all which parts were rebuilt between the years 1608 to 1620. The organ chamber and vestry were built in 1869 when the church was generally restored. A further restoration took place in 1876, and small repairs were done in 1913.
- In 1667 it took over the registers of St. Benedicts and became known as St. Mary's & St. Benedict's. It is now generally referred to simply as "St. Mary's".
- See also Huntingdon St. Benedict. Indexed Transcript of Marriages 1593-1691 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1837, with extracts of Baptisms 1595-1692 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1761, and Burials 1600-1692 and (with St. Benedict) 1692-1760 are on Search Room shelves (covers all four Huntingdon parishes).
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1594-1624, 1624-1636, 1636-1715 (1636-1691 - St. Mary only), 1715-1761, 1762-1783, 1783-1807, 1807-1812, 1813-1847, 1847-1884.
- Banns: 1754-1783, 1783-1786, 1815-1900, 1900-1962.
- Marriages: 1593-1624 (St. Mary only), 1624-1635 (St Mary only), 1636-1715 (St. Mary & St. Benedict 1692-1715), 1715-1754, 1754-1783, 1783-1801, 1801-1812, 1813-1837, 1837-1879, 1879-1907, 1907-1918.
- Burials: 1593-1624, 1624-1636, 1636-1715, 1715-1761, 1762-1783, 1783-1807, 1807-1812, 1813-1852, 1852-1911.
- Bishop's Transcripts. (St. Mary & St. Benedict): 1604-6, 1608-9, 1612, 1617, 1619, 1626-7/ (see Huntingdon All Saints & St. John BTs for 1691-1813), 1695, 1716, 1718, 1720, 1722, 1724-6, 1803-13/1813-24/1825-39/1840-44, 1846-8, 1850-2, 1855-7.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huntingdon St Mary to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL231712 (Lat/Lon: 52.325098, -0.195148), Huntingdon St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The population figues for the Huntingdon Borough were broken down further by parish. Those for the parish of St Mary are:
- Population in 1801 - 614
- Population in 1851 - 1208
- Population in 1901 - 1733
- Population in 1921 - 1923
- After 1921, the recording of separate population figures for each of the four parishes of Huntingdon was discontinued.