LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
"LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD, the parish of Leighton Bromswold is about half arable and half grassland. Salome Wood is the remains of a fairly large plantation in the north of the parish, and there are one or two coppices. The soil is heavy and the sub-soil is Oxford clay. The land is undulating and is watered by two brooks. One flows from the west through the north and middle part of the parish, and the other (the Ellington Brook) flows eastwards through the southern part of the parish forming its boundary for short distances. Between these two brooks is a high ridge of land known as 'the Bromswold'. On this ridge, and also northwards of the northern brook, the land rises to rather over 200 ft. above sea-level; from the ridge it falls to about 100 ft. to the southern brook and to about 70 ft. to the northern. The population was chiefly engaged in agriculture.
The village is about four and a half miles north-east of Kimbolton, and is on the ridge between the two brooks; it contains some 17th century timber-framed and plastered houses. The village street lies along the road to Old Weston, with Sheep Street branching off to the north-east to Duck Lane and Leighton Hill to the south. The church stands at the south-east end of the village, with the Manor Farm (formerly called Church Farm) to the west.
The following place-names occur in local records: Churchestreete, Plowewright (xv cent.), Kudle Hill, Bury lease, Sallam green (xvi cent.). An Inclosure Award was made in 1765-6, and a Tythe Award was made in 1851."