"LITTLE CATWORTH, the civil parish of Little Catworth has, since 1885, been included as part of Great Catworth. Little Catworth was never a separate ecclesiastical parish but was originally a chapelry of Stow Longa ancient parish, and it still remains in the parish of Stow Longa for ecclesiastical purposes. The ground rises from the Ellington Brook, forming the northern boundary of the parish, where it is about 100 ft. above sea-level, to about 250 ft. on the southern boundary.
Little Catworth is a very small hamlet on the edge of the village of Catworth which lies in the middle of the parish of Catworth (see - Great Catworth).
An inclosure Act for Little Catworth was passed in 1780 affecting 800 acres of common fields which were partly in Great Catworth and partly in Stow Longa. Another Act in 1795 for Great Catford affected another 2000 acres. The civil parish of Little Catworth was abolished in 1885, along with Great Catworth, to help create Catworth civil parish."
- Monumental inscriptions for Little Catworth have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Little Catworth Parish is available as fiche set C87.
- The full 1851 Census of Little Catworth Parish is available as fiche set C37.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Little Catworth was enumerated (RG11/1612, Folios 24b - 25a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C5.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243) in which Little Catworth and Wornditch Hamlet was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C14.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- There is no church is Little Catworth. The population used Stow Longa for this purpose.
- There are no church records for Little Catworth; these were generally maintained by Stow Longa of which it was a chapelry.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Little Catworth was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Catworth to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Little Catworth in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL102728 (Lat/Lon: 52.342216, -0.383822), Little Catworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The parish of Little Catworth (or 'Catworth') was part of the St. Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St. Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available as fiche set D11 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.