"LITTLE STUKELEY, a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Huntingdon, 3 miles north of Huntingdon. The village is situated on the Great North road, between two hills. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £252. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. There are two free schools, supported by the Rev. J. H. Barber. Lady Olivia Barnard Sparrow is lady of the manor.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions for Little Stukeley have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information (1841 - 1891) for this parish is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Little Stukeley is available as fiche set C117.
- The full 1851 Census of Little Stukeley is available as fiche set C67.
- A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Little Stukeley was enumerated (RG11/1604, Folios 90a - 96b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C3.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1237) in which Little Stukeley was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is also available as Fiche C9.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of St Martin consists of a chancel with north chapel and south chapel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble largely faced with ashlar, but parts of the north aisle and chapel are of brick. The roofs are covered with lead and tiles.
- The church mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 was probably of timber; Henry of Huntingdon (who was the Archdeacon) is recorded to have built (or rebuilt) it in the 12th century. His building apparently consisted of a chancel and an aisless nave; portions of the latter remain in the north-west, south-west and south-east responds of the present nave. A large reset arch between the chancel and the north chapel probably formed part of the chancel arch. One of the window heads has been built into the north aisle walls, and a length of corbel-table has been reset at the top of the same walls. The walls of the tower and the south aisle are largely built of 12th century stones, and a quantity of loose stones of this date remain in the north chapel - some of which exhibit the peculiar local form of six or more pallets of varying length (the longest in the middle) overlapping a roll and hollow after the fashion of the beak-head.
- That a north arcade and aisle were added to this church in the 13th century is witnessed by the stones of this period still remaining in the north arcade. The western tower was added towards the end of the 13th century, and early in the following century, the chancel was rebuilt and widened, and a north chapel was added.
- About 1500, the nave with its arcades and clearstory, together with the chancel arch, were complely rebuilt. The south chapel, aisle and porch were also added and some alterations made in the north chapel and aisles, and large buttresses added to the tower. Considerable works were done in the latter half of the 17th century, the south porch was rebuilt in 1652, the belfry in 1659, and the north aisle in 1673.
- The north aisle was again rebuilt in 1887, when the north chapel was altered to form a vestry, and the tower was repaired. the east wall of the early 14th century chancel was rebuilt with old material in 1910.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Martin's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- These are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1566-1652/3, 1655-1812, 1813-1883.
- Banns: 1755-1812.
- Marriages: 1567-1836 (indexed transcription), 1567-1651, 1655-1754, 1755-1812, 1813-1836, 1838-1969.
- Burials: 1567-1653, 1655-1812, 1813-1959.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1608-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1632, 1660-72/1673-7, 1685-8, 1690-1702, 1704-18, 1720-6, 1728-9, 1731-9, 1741-83, 1785-1810, 1812/1813-17/1820-3/1825-31, 1833, 1835-8, 1842-3, 1848, 1851-8, 1860.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Little Stukeley has been in the Registration District of Huntingdon since 1st July 1837.
- A transcript of the LittleStukeley parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the LittleStukeley parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Stukeley to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Little Stukeley in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL207756 (Lat/Lon: 52.365168, -0.228765), Little Stukeley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Stiuecle (xi cent.),
- Stiuecleya Abbatis,
- Stiuecle Parva,
- Stiuecle Minor (xiii cent.),
- See also Great Stukeley
- The parish of Little Stukeley was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.