LUDDINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
"LUDDINGTON, the parish of Luddington, originally called Luddington-in-the-Brook, lies on the Huntingdonshire border and was partly in the Leightonstone Hundred of Huntingdonshire and partly in the Polebrook Hundred of Northamptonshire until 1895 when the Huntingdon part transferred to Northamptonshire. The land is comprised of an Oxford Clay sub-soil with a border of Cornbrash in the east. There was some woodland, but most of the parish is arable, the chief crops being wheat and barley. The average height is 200 ft. above sea-level.
A long narrow tract of land in the east of the parish stretches south of Lutton, and east of Hemington along the county boundary in Gypsy Lane to the Rectory Farm. Further south on the east, the road from Great Gidding enters the parish and runs through the village in a north-west direction, into Hemington, passing the church of St. Margaret and the Church Farm.
A very winding stream, called the Alconbury Brook, rises in Great Hall Spinney, north of the church, and flows in a south-easterly direction through a tract of land liable to flooding. In the early 18th century, the county historian described the situation of the village as 'low and dirty' from the overflowing of this rivulet, and attributed its title of 'Luddington-in-the-Brook' to this course."