"OFFORD-DARCY, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 4½ miles north-east of St. Neot's. Huntingdon is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the eastern bank of the river Ouse, and is chiefly agricultural. The Great North road passes about two miles distant. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £42 12s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £195. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, containing a piscina and monuments of the Nailours, who held the manor, and some old brasses, one of which bears date 1400. There is a Sunday-school. The Baptists have a place of worship."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Offord Darcy Parish is available as fiche set C105.
- The full 1851 Census of Offord Darcy Parish is available as fiche set C55.
- The full 1891 Census of Offord Darcy Parish is available as fiche set C13.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Offord Darcy was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 55a - 62b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C5.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square TL 217665.
- The church of St. Peter consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with tile and slates.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but by 1130 a small church, consisting of a chancel, nave of two bays amd a north aisle, existed here. Shortly afterwards, this was lengthened by the addition of a western bay. The chancel was rebuilt soon after 1265; in about 1300, a south aisle with its arcade and a south porch, were added.
- At the end of the 14th century, the western tower and spire were erected, and a hundred years later the north aisle was rebuilt, and a clearstory added to the nave.
- The spire was rebuilt in 1860.
- These are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1563-1680, 1697-1774, 1775-1812, 1813-1923, 1923-1976.
- Banns: 1755-1819, 1823-1976.
- Marriages: 1566-1639, 1698-1751/2, 1755-1811, 1813-1838, 1837-1959, 1961-1975.
- Burials: 1603-1678, 1697-1774, 1776-1812, 1813-1976.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-8, 1610, 1612, 1617-19, 1625, 1631-2, 1671/1674-8, 1683, 1685, 1694-6, 1698-1702, 1704-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-4, 1726-66, 1768-75, 1777, 1781, 1786-1812/1813-24/1825-6, 1828-58.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Offord Darcy was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837, which subsequently became a sub-District. From 1st April 1997, it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A transcript of the OffordDarcy parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the OffordDarcy parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Offord Darcy to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Offord Darcy in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL219663 (Lat/Lon: 52.281335, -0.214518), Offord Darcy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Upperfordia (xi cent.),
- Ufforde Deneys,
- Danes or Darcy (xiii-xvi cent.),
- Offord Dacye alias Daynes (xvii cent.).
- The parish of Offord Darcy was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available, as fiche set D11, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.