Hide

OFFORD DARCY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]

"OFFORD DARCY, the parish of Offord Darcy lies low; the land in the west along the banks of the River ouse being liable to flooding. The soil is gravel and clay and the sub-soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and beans. Amongst local place-names are: Alcroft, Parloe and Stoneyland.

The village is on the road from St. Neots to Godmanchester; it is about 3 miles from the latter place. It forms almost one continuous village with Offord Cluny on its north; both are on the east side of the River Ouse. The church stands on the west side of the village separated from the river by the railway line. A little to the south-west of the church is the Manor House - a brick building with a tiles roof. It was built by Richard Naylor shortly after he purchased the property in 1606, and is referred to as his 'newly-built edifice' in a settlement of 1608. the east front was rebuilt in the 18th century, and the west front has been partly refaced.

To the north of the church are the Rectory House, the Rectory Farm and the Horseshoe Inn. On the south-east is Manor Farm, which has a homestead moat nearby which probably marks the site of the new grange which was destroyed about 1236-7.

COTTONS is a name of long continuance in the parish, first appearing probably as COTES."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]