[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"OLD WESTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Hunts, 7 miles north of Kimbolton. The living is a curacy, united with that of Bythorn to the rectory of Brington. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin.
The full 1841 Census of Old Weston Parish is included in fiche format from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall as Fiche Set C102 (The Western Villages - Keyston, Bythorn, Molesworth, Brington, Old Weston) at a cost of £1.50, inclusive of postage and packing charges worldwide.
The full 1851 Census of Old Weston Parish is included in fiche format from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall as Fiche Set C52 (The Western Villages - Keyston, Bythorn, Molesworth, Brington, Old Weston) at a cost of £1.50, inclusive of postage and packing charges worldwide.
A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Thrapston Registration District of Northamptonshire, in which Old Weston was enumerated (RG11/1583, Folios 30a - 36b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, at a cost of £1.50, as Fiche C1.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District (Sub-Districts of Thrapston (NTH), Oundle (NTH), Stamford (LIN) and Caxton (CAM)) in which Old Weston was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-16) at a cost of £4.50.
Apart from where otherwise stated, these fiches are all available from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall. They are also available for credit card purchases through the On-line Family History Fair, GENfair.
The church of St Swithin consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of stone dressings and the roofs are covered with lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts of the present building are the later 13th century arcades. During the 14th century, the church seems to have been largely rebuilt, commencing with the chancel which was rebuilt and widened to the north in the first decade; the aisle walls in the middle of the century; the clearstory added to the nave about the same time; and the west tower and the south porch at the extreme end of that century.
The northern part of the east wall of the chancel and the western end of the north aisle were rebuilt in the 15th century. The roof of the nave was reconstructed in 1657, that of the north aisle in 1638 and the south aisle in 1785. The church was restored in 1895 when the walls were thoroughly repaired and pointed, and the roofs re-leaded.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical l istings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS Bookstall. It is also available for credit card purchases through the On-line Family History Fair, GENfair.