"ORTON-LONGUEVILLE, (or Overton-Longville or Orton-Longville), a parish in the hundred of Norman Cross, county Huntingdon; 2 miles south-west of Peterborough, its post town, and 1 mile from the Overton station on the Northampton and Peterborough railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the main road from Peterborough to Oundle, and is bounded on the north by the river Nen, on which is a wharf at bloodstone, about 2 miles distant. The manor anciently belonged to the Lovetofts, from whom it came to the Copes and Gordons. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. From Wisbeach to Northampton the river has been rendered navigable for barges. There are stone-quarries in which are found numerous fossils. The living is a rectory* with that of Botolph-Bridge united, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £332. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing two bells. The interior of the church, which has been entirely restored, contains an effigy of a Knight Templar, a Norman font, and several monuments of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also another school supported by Lady Huntly. Horton Hall is the principal residence. The Marquis of Huntly is lord of the manor.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS. However, Peterborough & District FHS have an interest in the parish.
- Census information for this parish is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full transcription of the 1841 Census of Orton Longueville Parish is available, as fiche set C106, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full transcription of the 1851 Census of Orton Longueville Parish is available, as Fiche Set C56, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A Surnames index of the 1851 Census of the Peterborough Registration District (HO107/1747) in which Orton Longueville was enumerated (Folios 183-189), and which took place on 30th March 1851, has also been produced by the Peterborough & District FHS.
- The Index is available in either microfiche or A5 booklet form from Mr G Harbron, 7 Newby Close, Peterborough PE3 6PU, England. Please state which version you want.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Stilton sub-District of the Peterborough Registration District (RG12/1225) in which Orton Longueville was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C-15). This is available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of the Holy Trinity consists of a chancel, north chapel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but nothing of this early church remains. It probably had an aisless nave to which aisles were added around 1240. A general rebuilding was commenced towards the end of the 13th century, beginning with the chancel, chancel arch and north chapel c.1280; the nave and aisles c.1300. The west tower was either built, or rebuilt, at the same time, and the clearstory was added a few years later. In about the middle of the century, the north chapel was rebuilt and the arch between it and the chancel was widened towards the east.
- The belfry seems to have been rebuilt with very high walls in the 15th century. The south aisle was rebuilt to about double its former width with the materials from Botolphbridge church in 1675, at which time the porch was also rebuilt. This porch was repaired in 1835, and the church in 1840, with the north chapel being partly rebuilt in 1861. The north aisle roof was restored about 1888, and the roofs of the chancel, nave and south aisle were largely renewed in 1908-9, when some repairs were also done to the east window and the south clearstory windows.
- There is further information and photographs of Holy Trinity Church on Rob's Churches website.
- These are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1559-1695/6, 1696-1812 (indexed transcriptions), 1745-46 (included in Botolphbridge), 1696-1770, 1771-1812.
- Banns: 1754-1812, 1823-1976.
- Marriages: 1559-1691, 1695-1695/6 (included with Botolphbridge), 1696-1955 (indexed transcriptions), 1696-1753, 1754-1812, 1813-1837.
- Burials: 1559-1695, 1696-1812 (indexed transcriptions), 1696-1770, 1771-1812.
- Bishop's Transcripts (including Botophbridge from 1680): 1605, 1608-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1660-8, 1683, 1685, 1695, 1699, 1702, 1704-8, 1710-16, 1718-58, 1760-90, 1793-1813/1813-1824/1825-37, 1842-50, 1852-5.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Orton Longueville was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District where it remains.
- A transcript of the OrtonLongueville parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the OrtonLongueville parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the OrtonLongueville parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Orton Longueville to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL169964 (Lat/Lon: 52.552899, -0.277266), Orton Longueville which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Ofertune (x, xi cent.),
- Ovretune (xi cent.),
- Overton (xiii cent.),
- Orton (xvi cent.).
- Longevill (xiii-xiv cent.),
- Lungeville (xiii-xv cent.),
- Longville (xviii cent.).
- The parish of Orton Longueville was in the Peterborough Union of Northamptonshire for Poor Law administration.