- Population in 1801 - 833.
- Population in 1851 - 1653.
- Population in 1901 - 1229.
- Population in 1951 - 1317.
- Population in 1971 - 1513.
- Population in 1991 - 3617.
"SOUTHOE, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 7 miles south-west of Huntingdon, its post town, and 3 north-west of St. Neot's. It is situated near the river Ouse, on the Great North-road from London to York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Southoe was formerly held by the Lovetots, John of Gaunt, and the Pickerings. The living is a vicarage with that of Hail Weston annexed, in the diocese of Ely, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower containing a clock and four bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. R. W. Standley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Southoe Parish is available as fiche set C108.
- The full 1851 Census of Southoe Parish is available as fiche set C58.
- The full 1891 Census of Southoe Parish is available as fiche set C13.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Southoe was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 89a - 89b and 99b-104b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C5.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- OS Grid Square TL 184644.
- The church of St. Leonard consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, tower at the north-west corner and a south porch. The walls are of pebble rubble, except for the tower and clearstory which are of red brick; all have stone dressings. The north aisle is of ashlar, and the roofs are of slate and lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, in about 1160, a stone church was built here, of which the greater part of the chancel with the chancel arch remains, and the south doorway which has been reset in the wall of the south aisle. In the 13th century, the chancel was lengthened, the nave rebuilt with a south arcade and a south aisle. In about 1500, the north arcade and aisle were added, the south aisle largely rebuilt and the clearstory and porch added.
- Towards the end of the 16th century, the tower was built on the site of the western bay of the north aisle. The church was restored in 1859 when the south-west corner of the chancel, the clearstory, the east respond of the south arcade, the east window of the south aisle, the west window of the nave and the porch were rebuilt, and the whole of the roofs, which were mean and modern, were renewed.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1559-1671/2, 1670-1745/6, 1746-1812, 1813-1892.
- Banns: 1755-1812, 1846-1920, 1923-1924, 1930-35, 1948.
- Marriages: 1559-1639, 1653/4-1671, 1670-1746, 1746-1754, 1755-1812, 1813-1835, 1837-1960.
- Burials: 1558-1642, 1653-1671/2, 1670-1745?, 1746-1812, 1813-1963.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-10, 1612, 1614, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1660-8, 1670-6/1676, 1680, 1686-8, 1695, 1698-1701, 1706-15, 1718, 1720-2, 1724-84, 1790-1802, 1804-12/1813-20/1825-32, 1834-45, 1847-53, 1855-7.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Southoe was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837, which later became a sub-District. From 1st April 1997 it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A transcript of the Southoe parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Southoe parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Southoe to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Southoe in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL183644 (Lat/Lon: 52.265047, -0.267929), Southoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The parish of Southoe was part of the St. Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available, as fiche set D11, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.