"SPALDWICK, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 4 miles east of Kimbolton, its post town, and 7 north-west of Huntingdon. It is a small, well-built village, situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and on the road from Cambridge to Northampton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £96, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship. The Duke of Manchester is lord of the manor. Fairs are held on Whit Monday and 28th November."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Spaldwick have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS. The War Memorial inscriptions for this parish are available on-line.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Spaldwick Parish is available as fiche set C89 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Spaldwick Parish is available as fiche set C39 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A Surname Index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Spaldwick was enumerated (RG11/1602, Folios 69a - 76a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available, as fiche set C3, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Spaldwick sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1236) in which Spaldwick was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C8). This is available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- St. James's Church, Spaldwick.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. James's Church, Spaldwick
- The church of St. James consists of a chancel, south chapel, nave, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls of the tower are of coursed rubble; the rest of the church is built of stone and pebble rubble - all with stone dressings. The roofs are covered with slate and lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but there seems to have been an aisle-less stone church here by the end of the 12th century of which the north wall and small parts of the east wall remain. To this church a south aisle was added in about 1250. The chancel with the chancel arch were rebuilt in the early 14th century.
- The tower was commenced about the middle, and completed together with its spire before the end, of the 14th century. There seems to have been a cessation of work about half-way up the tower which may possibly have been caused by the effects of the Black Death in 1349. It may have been intended to rebuild the nave, for an access door to the roof was provided in the east wall of the tower; this idea was abandoned and, in about 1370, a clearstory was added to the existing wall. At about he same time, the porch was built.
- The south chapel was built around 1500, when the south aisle and porch were rebuilt. In the 17th century, two buttresses were built onto the north side of the nave; the window between them was altered, and the parapets of the nave were rebuilt.
- There are photographs and further information on St. James's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1604-1619, 1683-1851 (both indexed transcriptions), 1813-1946.
- Banns: 1756-1847 (indexed transcriptions), 1824-1993.
- Marriages: 1604-1619, 1695-1851 (both indexed transcriptions), 1837-1958.
- Burials: 1604-1619, 1695-1851 (both indexed transcriptions), 1813-1981.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-8, 1612, 1617, 1619, 1758, 1761, 1765, 1812-13/1813-47, 1854-9.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Spaldwick was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now again directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A transcript of the Spaldwick parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Spaldwick parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Spaldwick parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Spaldwick to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Spaldwick in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL128728 (Lat/Lon: 52.341688, -0.345674), Spaldwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- The parish of Spaldwick was in the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.