ST. IVES: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
[Transcribed information from Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer of England - 1750]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ST. IVES, (Huntingdonshire) 49 cm. 57 mm. from London, has a fine stone bridge over the Ouse, had in the 9th century a mint, and was noted for its medicinal waters. Great part of it was burnt down some years ago, but it was rebuilt. Here is a very good Mt. on M. for fatted cattle brought from the N. and Fairs on Whitson-M. and Sept. 21. Here Oliver Cromwell rented a farm, before he was chose a burgess for Cambridge. It had formerly a mon. which was a cell to the abbey of Ramsey. The D. of Manchester is Ld. of the manor."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2011]