"STOW LONGA, (or Stow or Long Stow) a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 2½ miles north-east of Kimbolton, and 10 south-west of Bugden. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Catworth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £70, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Botolph. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a chapel for Dissenters. The Duke of Manchester, J. Read, Esq., and others, are lords of the manor.
"LITTLE CATWORTH, a chapelry in the parish of Stow Longa, hundred of Leightonstone, in the county of Huntingdon, 1 mile from Great Catworth. See also Little Catworth Parish page.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Stow Longa have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Stow Longa Parish is available as fiche set C89 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Stow Longa Parish is available as fiche set C39 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Stow Longa was enumerated (RG11/1612, Folios 20a - 23a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C-5, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243) in which Stow Longa was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is also available, as fiche set C14, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of St. Botolph consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, south aisle and west tower. The walls are of coursed rubble and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but the existence of a pre-conquest slab with interlaced work seems to indicate an early church on the site, whilst numerous remains of the 12th century date point conclusively to a stone church at that period. The whole church was apparently rebuilt about the middle of the 13th century; the south arcade and the south aisle were built last around 1280. About 1330, the eastern end of the south aisle was rebuilt and widened to form a south chapel; about the same time, new windows were inserted into the aisle walls. In the 15th century, the south arcade was rebuilt, probably after a fall, and the clearstory was added. The west tower was built and the western responds to the nave arcades were rebuilt around 1500.
- Sometime, probably in the 17th century, the upper part of the clearstory and the nave roof fell or were taken down and a poor barn-like roof was put on. The chancel and chancel arch were largely rebuilt in 1880, and the rest of the church was restored from 1888 to 1893, when the south chapel and the east wall of the north aisle were largely rebuilt. In 1901, the upper part of the clearstory was rebuilt and reroofed, the aisles repaired and reroofed, and the south door reset. The north-west corner of the north aisle was partly rebuilt in 1906.
- Registers include some entries for Little Catworth
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1698-1812 (indexed), 1813-1877 (microfilm).
- Banns: 1754-1812, 1940, 1971-72, (1825-1881 on microfilm).
- Marriages: 1699-1837 (indexed), 1754-1812, 1838-1955.
- Burials: 1698-1811 (indexed), 1811-1877.
- Bishop's Transcripts (includes some for Little Catworth): 1604-5, 1607-9, 1612, 1614, 1617-19, 1626-7, 1 631, 1749, 1761-2, 1813-13/1813-24/1825-38, 1854-7.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Stow Longa was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
- A transcript of the StowLonga parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the StowLonga parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stow Longa to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL108710 (Lat/Lon: 52.325919, -0.375611), Stow Longa which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Estou (xi cent.),
- Stow Longa (xiii-xvii cent.),
- Long Stow (xix cent.).
- Before 1955, was generally known as "Stow" for civil purposes, but always as "Stow Longa ancient parish" for ecclesiastical purposes.
- Sometimes the parish is now known as 'Stow Longa with Little Catworth'.}
- The parish of Stow Longa was part of the St Neots Union (for Poor Law administration).
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available, as fiche set D11, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.