- Population in 1801 - 99.
- Population in 1851 - 230.
- Population in 1901 - 174.
- Population in 1951 - 121.
- Population in 1971 - 101.
- Population in 1991 - 84.
"UPTON, a parish in the hundred of Leightonstone, county Huntingdon, 6 miles north-west of Huntingdon, its post town. The village is situated near the Roman way Ermine Street, on the Great North road. From Standgate Hill a view is obtained over the Fens, with Peterborough minster and Wittleseymere in the distance. The living is a rectory,* with that of Coppingford consolidated, in the diocese of Ely, value £160. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has an old font. J. W. Heathcote, Esq., is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for Upton parish have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information (1841 to 1891) for this parish is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Upton Parish is available as fiche set C95 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Upton Parish is available as fiche set C45 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the Huntingdon Registration District, in which Upton was enumerated (RG11/1601, Folios 71a - 73b), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C3 from the Huntingdonshire FHS .
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Sawtry sub-District of the Huntingdon Registration District (RG12/1235) in which Upton was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, has also been produced by the Huntingdonshire FHS (as Fiche C7). This is available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The church of St Margaret consists of a chapel, modern vestry on the north, a nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and modern south porch. The walls are faced with rough ashlar and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts now existing are the 12th century south doorway and the font. The chancel, nave arcades and south aisle are of 13th century date, but the whole church underwent a complete reconstruction in the early years of the 14th century beginning with a partial rebuilding of the chancel, and following on with that of the aisles, which were also heightened, the building of the clearstory and, possibly, the rebuilding of the west wall. The combination of two single-light west windows, and the three buttresses, suggest that this wall may have been surmounted with a bell-cote.
- In the 15th century, the chancel arch was rebuilt and a west tower and spire were built within the nave. At some period, both aisles were shortened at the west end. In 1870-1, the church again underwent a complete reconstruction when the north aisle was rebuilt and widened, a vestry was built on the north side of the chancel, both aisle were restored to their original length, the whole of the roofs were renewed, and a south porch was added. the west-end of the south aisle was under-pinned and repaired in 1908.
- There are photographs and further information on St. Margaret's Church on Rob's Churches website.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1604-1626, 1660-1851, 1776-1877.
- Banns: 1755-1849, 1824-1876.
- Marriages: 1604-1625, 1664-1850, 1775-1876.
- Burials: 1604-1626, 1662-1851, 1784-1876.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607, 1610, 1612, 1614, 1617-19, 1625-6, 1660-71/1672-8, 1682-3, 1685-8, 1690-5, 1698, 1701-2, 1704-7, 1709-15, 1717-22, 1724-33, 1735-57, 1759, 1761, 1765-71, 1776, 1778, 1788, 1790, 1794-1801, 1803-12/1813, 1815-24/1825-9, 1831-5, 1837, 1851-5.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The parish of Upton-cum-Coppingford was originaly in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Sawtry sub-District. Once again, from 1st April 1997, it is directly under the Huntingdon Registration District.
- A transcript of the Upton parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Upton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upton to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Upton in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL175785 (Lat/Lon: 52.391922, -0.274723), Upton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Upton was part of the Huntingdon Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the Huntingdon Union Workhouse (1838 - 1949) are available, as fiche set D10, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.