UPTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"UPTON, the parish of Upton consists mostly of clay growing cereals and beans. There still remains some woodland but the remainder of the land is about half arable and half pasture. The ground rises from Alconbury Brook, which forms the western boundary and where it is about 77 ft. above sea level, to the village where it reaches 162 ft. The rather straggling village is built around the meeting place of the road from Ermine Street in the east, Hamerton in the west, and along Coppingford Lane from Coppingford on the north-east. The church is in the middle of the village, and to the east of it is Manor Farm, built within a moated site, of which only fragments of the moat survive. On the north side of the village is Christ's College Farm - another moated site. The existing farmhouse was built early in the 17th century and received an addition to the north side about 50 years"
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]