Water Newton, Huntingdonshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1932.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]

"WATER NEWTON, the small parish of Water Newton lies between Chesterton and Sibson-cum-Stibbington, and is bounded on the north by the River Nene. the Billing Brook divides it from Chesterton on the east, and very picturesque views were a charcteristic of this riverside region. A short distance south of the river, the parish is crossed from east to west by the Great North Road (now the A1 Trunk Road which now by-passes the village), and the village is about half-a-mile from the western boundary. The church, rectory and other principal buildings of the village lie between the river and the Great North Road, across which, on the south side, is Water Newton House, which once had a smithy to the east of it. It is said that the main road once came down to the ford and passed close to the north and west wall of the church. the Hall, or Manor House, originally stood to the west of the Rectory. Water Newton Lodge, which stands about a mile south of the church, is built of reused 17th century materials, but also has some modern parts. A deed of 1794 describes it as having been built by Richard Edwards chiefly out of materials taken from the Manor House, called "The Hall". To the west of the village are old brickworks, and about a quarter of a mile south of it is an old gravel pit. The parish ground rises from the river to about 115 ft. above sea-level in the south, but is liable to floods in the north. The soil is mostly gravel, and the sub-soil is part clay and part sand. The land is very fertile and well cultivated; the chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. Local Romano-British remains, including villa sites and a cemetery, have been found here. It is now often spelled as one word: Waternewton."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]