WOOLLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1932.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[from The Victoria County History series - 1932]
"WOOLLEY is about 5 miles north of Grafham, about 6 miles north-west of Huntingdon, and rather less in a north-north-easterly direction from Kimbolton. It is bounded by Alconbury on the east, Buckworth on the north, Ellington on the south, and Barham and Spaldwick on the west. The parish soil and sub-soil is clay producing wheat, barley and beans. A road branching north from Huntingdon to the old road to Thrapston, and runs through what now is no more than a hamlet, and which lies in a hollow about 80 ft. above sea-level. The land all around rises reaching 168 ft. in the north, though it is liable to floods along the banks of the Woolley Brook, which runs through the parish. The church, which no longer exists, stood near the centre of the parish, with its rectory on the opposite side of the road to the north of it whilst the manor house lies west of the church. Mikepher Alphrey, a prince of the Russian imperial line, and born in Russia, was appointed rector in 1618. He was removed under the Commonwealth government of Oliver Cromwell but reinstated at the Restoration, his presentation having resulted from some connection with Russian trade on the part of the lord of the manor - John Bedell. Richard Southgate, the antiquary, was rector here from 1754-1761. The civil parish was abolished in 1935 to help create the civil parish of Barham and Woolley; the ecclesiastical parish was abolished in 1965 (after the church was pulled down) to create the ecclesiastical parish of Barham and Woolley."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from The Victoria County History series- 1932]