"WYTON, (or Witton) a parish in the hundred of Hurstingstone, county Hunts, 2 miles north-west of St. Ives, and 3½ east of Huntingdon. The village is situated on the river Ouse, which passes through the parish. It was for some years the residence of Horne Tooke, and Charles James Fox was married here in September, 1795. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value with the rectory of Houghton, £650. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret or to All Saints. There is a National school.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental Inscriptions from the Parish Churchyard (approximately 107 entries - fiche set M18) are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Wyton Parish is available as fiche set C100 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- The full 1851 Census of Wyton Parish is available as fiche set C50 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Ives Registration District, in which Wyton was enumerated (RG11/1609, Folios 80a - 85a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C4, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the St. Ives Registration District (RG12/1234) in which Wyton parish was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as fiche set C12 from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The former All Saints Church, Wyton, now a private dwelling.
- OS Grid Square TL 277723.
- The Church of All Saints consists of a chancel, 19th century north vestry and organ chamber, nave, north aisle, 19th century tower at the south-west corner, and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- Although the church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, nothing of that period remains. The western half of the south wall of the chancel and the south wall of the nave are thick and probably are of 12th century date. The nave arcade and north aisle were built about 1200-1210, the nave being extended westwards as is indicated by the easterly position of the south doorway. The chancel was rebuilt and extended eastwards to nearly double its former size in the late 14th century, the chancel arch being rebuilt at the same time.
- In 1866 the chancel was restored and the north aisle rebuilt, the south porch added and a south-west tower rebuilt replacing one of brick of 1846 (the ancient tower being of timber). The north vestry and organ chamber are also modern having been erected in 1912.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1605-1838 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1959, 1961-1973.
- Banns: 1754-1819 (indexed transcriptions), 1960-1971.
- Marriages: 1605-1837 (indexed transcriptions), 1837-1956, 1957-1961, 1962-1967, 1968-1971, 1971-1973.
- Burials: 1607-1838 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1974.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1605, 1607-10, 1612, 1617-19, 1625/7 (see Houghton's BT's for 1678, 1687-8, 1690-2, 1694-1702, 1704-8, 1710-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-46, 1749-75, 1777-1809, 1811-13) ,1813, 1815/1846-7, 1849-55.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are at present, issued in alphabetic listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Wyton was originally in the St. Ives Registration District from 1st July 1837, which became a sub-District until 31st March 1997. It is now in the Registration District of Huntingdon.
- A transcript of the Wyton parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the Wyton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wyton to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Wyton in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL277723 (Lat/Lon: 52.333932, -0.127272), Wyton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial, which includes Houghton and Wyton, with detailed information about those who fell, is available on the Huntingdonshire Roll of Honour web site.
- Wyton was part of the St. Ives Union (for Poor Law administration). Births and deaths registered in the St Ives Union Workhouse (1836 - 1913) are available, as fiche set D9, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Population in 1801 - 213.
- Population in 1851 - 267.
- Population in 1901 - 143.
- Population in 1931 - 445.
- Population figures from 1935 are incorporated into Houghton's population figures.