[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"YELLING, a parish in the hundred of Yoseland, county Hunts, 4 miles south of Caxton, 6 north-east of St. Neot's, and 8 south of Huntingdon. In the reign of Charles I. it was the property of Sir Julius Cæsar. The rectory was once held by Venn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £400, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. The Baptists have a chapel. There are National and Sunday schools. The charities consist of a poors' allotment of 14 acres of land."
The full 1841 Census of Yelling Parish is available as fiche set C107 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The full 1851 Census of Yelling Parish is available as fiche set C57 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Huntingdonshire (Miscellaneous Parishes) Registration District in which Yelling was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available as Fiche C16 from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
The church of the Holy Cross consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble with stone and clunch dressings, and the roofs are covered with slates and lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the oldest part extant is the north arcade of the nave (c.1180-90) which probably indicates the addition of a north aisle to an already existing nave. Late in the 13th century, a south aisle was added, and a little later the chancel was rebuilt and, doubtlessly, enlarged.
The end of the 14th century saw considerable alterations: the clearstory was added to the nave, the tower and south porch were built, and the walls of the chancel altered and raised. The church was restored in 1730, the north aisle was rebuilt in 1868-9, and the south aisle and porch in 1889.
The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Huntingdonshire FHS.