(File 9a )
Extra data has been added to this section by John Sinclair Willis.
The additional data is in upper case, and is presented separately here in order to preserve the original transcription intact.
THURLOW, LORD THURLOW.
EDWARD THURLOW, baron Thurlow of Ashfield, one of his majesty's most honourable privy council, lord high chancellor of the kingdom of Great Britain, one of the tellers of his majesty's exchequer, and a governor of the Charter House.
This nobleman was born 9TH DECEMBER 1731 -- ---- 1735, and elected 1768 and 1774 to represent the borough of Tamworth in the county of Stafford. He was constituted -- March 1770 solicitor general to his majesty, which office he exchanged 23 January 1771 for that of attorney general. By king George the third he was created baron Thurlow of Ashfield, and was promoted 2 June 1778 to be lord high chancellor of Great Britain, which office he resigned in April 1783. The seals were again delivered to him 23 December in that year, and he succeeded to the reversion of a tellership in the exchequer July 1786.
Thomas Thurlow, rector of Ashfield in the county of Suffolk, (LATER INCUMBENT OF THURSTON, LONG STRETTON, THEN
KNAPSTON, SUFFOLK) married Elizabeth, daughter of ROBERT SMITH OF LITTLE ASHFIELD - ROBERT SMITH WAS THE SON OF SIR RICHARD HOVELL - THE WEDDING TOOK PLACE ON 10 DECEMBER 1730 ---- Smith of that place; by which lady he had issue,
- Edward, lord Thurlow. 9 DEC 1731-12 SEP 1806
- Thomas, who embraced the clerical profession, and was elected -- May 1779 lord bishop of Lincoln, and translated -- February 1787 to the see of Durham. ALSO EARL OF SADBARGE. He married Ann, daughter of William Beer of Lymington in the county of Southampton esquire ; by which lady he has issue THOMAS DIED
27 MAY 1791, ANNE DIED 17 AUGUST 1791
- Edward, born 11 June 1781;
- Amelia ; ANNE
- Elizabeth ;
- Anne; ELIZABETH - MARRIED 12 APRIL 1804 TO CHARLES GODFREY OF WETHERDEN HALL, SUFFOLK
- and a son, born 19 September 1787. I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT HIM
- THE REV THOMAS B 6 OCTOBER 1788 DIED 26 SEP 1874 - MARRIED 4 JUNE 1811 TO MARIA FRANCIS
- John, an alderman of the city of Norwich, who married Josepha, daughter of John Moore esquire; by which lady, who died 10 December 1786, he had issue
He died 4 March 1782; and Thomas, the father, -- ----- 1762.
C R E A T I O N.
Baron Thurlow of Ashfield in the county of Suffolk 3 June 1778.
C H I E F S E A T.
Knight's Hill in the county of Surrey.
Return to main transcription of Barons 9
Return to Barons Index
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016