"ACOL, (sometimes called Wood), a parish, village or liberty in the hundred of Ringslow, in the Isle and union of Thanet, in the lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 4 miles S.W. of Margate. It is a member of the Cinque Port liberty of Dover, and is situated on the London road. There was formerly a chapel belonging to the liberty at the small hamlet of Woodchurch, 2 miles N.W., which was attached to the living of Monkton, but the service was discontinued there in the reign of Elizabeth, and the chapel allowed to fall into ruins, of which traces still remain. The ancient name of the village was Mill Burgh."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]