"ALDINGTON, a parish in the franchise and barony of Bircholt, and liberty of Romney Marsh, lathe of Shepway, in the county of Kent, 6 miles to the S.E. of Ashford. Hythe is the post town. It lies near the South Eastern railway, and the military canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £1,014, with the curacy of Smeethe, which is annexed to it, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Martin, and is mostly in the early English style, with a fine stained window. Erasmus was once rector of this place."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]