"ALLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Larkfield, and lathe of Aylesford, in the county of Kent, 1 mile to the N. W. of Maidstone. It is on the river Medway, which is its eastern boundary, opposite the town of Aylesford, and near Allington Knoll, a hill which rises to the height of 326 feet. It was formerly a market town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £145, in the patronage of the Earl of Romney, lord of the manor, whose seat is The Mote. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. A fair is held on St. Lawrence's day. Allington Castle, which was founded by Stephen de Penchester, has fallen to decay, and its remains now serve as a farm-house. This castle was the birthplace of the elder Sir Thomas Wyatt, a poet of the reign of Henry VIII."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]