"ASH, (or Ash-next-Ridley), a parish in the hundred of Axton, Dartford and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 7 miles to the S.E. of Dartford. Sevenoaks is its post town. It comprises the hamlets of Hodsol Street, West York, and Culverstone Green. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £548, in the patronage of W. Lambard, Esq. The church, which contains a brass of 1460, is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. A free school was endowed in 1735, by the Rev. Samuel Attwood, and further endowed by James Lance in 1811. Its revenue is £33, and it is now united with a school on the Madras system. There is also a girls' school. Fairs are held on the 5th April and the 10th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]