Ash - Sandwich
"ASH, (or Ash-next-Ridley), a parish in the hundred of Axton, Dartford and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 7 miles to the S.E. of Dartford. Sevenoaks is its post town. It comprises the hamlets of Hodsol Street, West York, and Culverstone Green. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £548, in the patronage of W. Lambard, Esq. The church, which contains a brass of 1460, is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. A free school was endowed in 1735, by the Rev. Samuel Attwood, and further endowed by James Lance in 1811. Its revenue is £33, and it is now united with a school on the Madras system. There is also a girls' school. Fairs are held on the 5th April and the 10th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ash - Sandwich to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ash - Sandwich has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TR290583 (Lat/Lon: 51.277795, 1.282074), Ash - Sandwich which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)