"BARFRESTON, (or Barston), a parish in the hundred of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 6 miles to the N.W. of Dover. Wingham is its post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value of £182, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is a small edifice, but one of the most interesting examples remaining of Norman architecture. It has a fine porch, a circular arch springing from wreathed columns at the entrance to the chancel, another similar arch at the west end, adorned with sculpture, several circular windows, and many niches and decorations on the exterior. It is dedicated to St. Mary. Many barrows exist in the neighbourhood."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]