"BETHERSDEN, (or Betttersden-Lovelace), a parish in the hundred of Chart and Longbridge, lathe of Shepway, in the county of Kent, 5 miles to the S.W. of Ashford. Tenterden is its post town. The South-Eastern railway passes near it. The parish contains some beds of grey marble, employed for columns of churches, mantel-pieces, and other decorations of interiors. Hops are grown in this district. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value of £165, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Beatrice, and contains several ancient family monuments and some brasses of the Lovelaces, who formerly held the manor of Bethersden. A fair is held in the village on the 1st July."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]